Tuesday, October 6, 2015

An event that shaped me as a person took place in the second grade. I show up to school wearing my favorite pink sweater with ruffles on it. I was new to the school and began hanging out with this group of girls at lunch. A girl named Grace was the head of the pack and everything she said the other girls agreed with. When i came up to sit with them at recess she made fun of my sweater and called me names along with the other girls. My mom picks me up from school, and i break out in tears. That's when she played a song for me by the spice girls called Our Lips Our Sealed and made me listen to the lyrics that said, "pay no mind to what they say, doesn't matter anyway". Since then I have never been bullied and if i am teased about something I either stick up for myself or do not let it get to me. I learned that if you are confident in yourself people are less likely to tease you and if you are teased and you act like you don't care, they will stop. If i could go back to that event i would have said to Grace, "well i like my pink sweater, it's designer, and if you were updated on your fashion you would know. Plus if i wanted your opinion I'd ask for it." 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you got called names for what you were wearing, but I'm glad you got past it! I bet those girls aren't too popular now! Way to take the high road:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People suck (this is why most of my friends growing up were boys, too, btw!) -- to sympathize with you, I have a similar story. I was in the fourth grade, and eating lunch out by a tree with a friend. A girl (fifth grader) walked up to me, and accused me of stealing her friend's lunch bag (I guess we had the same one) and then called me the N word. I freaked out... of course my mom complained to the principal, but nothing even came of it. However, had it been the other way around, and I'd have called HER that... I would've been suspended for days and ostracized as a racist my whole life.

    as they say, 'people these days.'

    You're adorable, even in a pink-ruffly sweater I'm sure :) <3

    ReplyDelete